Monday, November 17, 2008

Turkey Trot

We signed up for the family Turkey Trot at Cora and Granger's school this year. We were supposed to go on a 2 mile run/walk and then the school prepared lunch for everybody afterwards and gave shirts away to the kids. I signed up for our entire family and knew they had ordered enough shirts for our three kids and enough lunch for the five of us so... even though we completely forgot about the Turkey Trot, by the time we remembered, we jumped in the car and drove there.... late.

We followed the signs (driving) through the neighborhood across the street from the school. Some people were already finishing the trot so Lynn let me, Cora, Granger and Jonah out of the car somewhere towards the end of the trot and drove to the school so we would have our car there. As we were coming down a little hill, me with my pregnant belly and three little kids, we realized we were almost in the very front of the large group of people. School faculty were there, cheering us on, screaming, "You're almost there! You can do it! Don't give up!" Now mind you, we had only gone about fifty yards at this point. People were saying, "Wow, you guys are fast! You are an inspiration to the rest of us!" and super embarassing stuff like that. We hadn't even broken a sweat and we were just slowly walking along, downhill, while other families were panting past us. Cora said, "Mom, I imagined this would be more challenging." I had to keep telling her that it would have been if we had started at the beginning. Anyway, everytime someone screamed, "Don't give up! You're doing great!" (which was about every 20 or 30 yards) I had to hide my face from laughing and try to put on a grimacing, work-out expression. Then at the end, our picture was taken, cheers were given and I felt like an idiot.

By the way, I appreciate all the nice comments to Lynn on the last post, Prop 8, however, I was the one who posted the post. Sorry to confuse you all. I'll try to make it more clear next time.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

That story is so funny! I was cracking up!

Jeanette said...

Typical Johnson/Jones story. You had me laughing out loud. Too funny!

Dave said...

This is great. I'm laughing out loud. And by the way, I knew you had written the last post. I'm glad you cleared things up - Lynn shouldn't get all the credit for writing good stuff. Dave usually gets the credit for making anything we bring to family gatherings and sometimes I just have to point out that it was me. Despite the name above, it's Arianne.

Martha said...

Cameo, I love this story! I wish I could've been there to see you win!! Ha ha! That's hilarious. LOL!