Sunday, December 7, 2008

Have you ever had an eyeball up your nose?

I can't find my camera and I didn't want to blog until I could post the accompanying pictures but I've given up and am going to blog anyway. First off, a couple of weeks ago I put the boys in the car, ran back into the house to get something, went back out to the car and Jonah announced, "I have an eyeball in my nose." What? I had no idea what he was talking about and we were late so I got in the car and proceeded on our way. I then asked Granger what he meant and with a very guilty look he said, "Yeah, okay. I'll tell the truth. (blows out a big breath) I dared him to do it." "What are you talking about?" And then I remembered that the day before he had made some craft in nursery that had those craft eyeballs glued onto some construction paper. He had left it in the car. I asked if that's the eyeball that he meant, stuffed up his nose and I got a resounding confirmation from both boys. Great. I handed him a kleenex while driving down the road and told him to blow. He did but nothing happened. We proceeded on our planned errands and after we were done, I took Granger to afternoon kindergarten and headed to the Urgent Care. After waiting our turn, we were taken back and the doctor tried every trick imaginable to loosen the eyeball but to no avail. Seriously, it was WAY in there and totally stuck. The poor kid was amazingly brave. He held so still with big tears welling up in his eyes but didn't make a sound. His nose started bleeding from the suction, the tweezers and the various sizes of tubes that kept getting shoved up his nose but he just held still and without being asked kept telling them that "His brother dared him to do it." over and over. The doctor called in an assistant and then brought in various machines. Nothing worked. When I asked what we were going to have to do if we couldn't get it out, the doctor and nurse looked at each other and then ignored me. Finally, I got an answer. We were going to have to go to the ER at the hospital and have him put under anesthetic and have an actual OPERATION to get it out. Seriously? But then, as a last stitch effort the doctor began shooting saline up his nose and after the first few tries only yielded blood clots, the eyeball finally came out. Yee haw! (You don't get to say that often enough). So, because he was such an amazing patient (even the doctor and nurses were surprised), I took him to McDonalds for an ice cream cone. Yes, rewarding such evil behavior, I know, but I love that kid and figure he learned his lesson on his own.

Also, Lynn was learning that specific skill in class that day (how to properly insert a suction tube into a patient's nose) and Jonah became the object lesson for the entire class. What great timing! And no, I didn't keep the eyeball...

7 comments:

The Easton Family said...

Thats awsome! Glad to hear that the eyeball was successfully extracted... we haven't been as fortunate to have any eyball-up-the-nose incidents in our family, yet...knock on wood!

Stoddard Family said...

That sounds like a really unpleasant experience, what a good little boy to sit and let them do all of those things to his nose. I hope all is going well with you guys. We can't wait for you guys to come back Cora was going to be our only little girl coming into activity days, now we have no one.

Vandee said...

Lol! Jaydee put a candy up her nose over Labor Day weekend so we had to call the doctor on call who came from his house to meet us. What am I going to do when she actually has a brother to dare her?

Glad you survived. Hope you are feeling better.

TheShumWAYS said...

Craziness. Sounds painful for sure and imbarrasing for the mommy?

Darce said...

gotta love boys! actually, i could see liza doing that, too. i swear, i think you guys have the BEST stories! can't wait to see you!

Sarah said...

Seriously... only your kids!! :) Gotta love having boys. Mine just want to beat each other up and wrestle.

Mom and Dad - Russ and Melody said...

Oh Cameo, does that ever bring back memories of raising all our little boys! You are such a cute family, and what an adventure you are having! Enjoy it, it passes way too quickly. Love you bunches, Aunt Melody