




Halloween is definitely my favorite holiday. I had a very hard time giving up trick-or-treating. I think I went until I was 16 or so. I even went once in my twenties under very special circumstances. The last few years I've traded in trick-or-treating for doing haunted houses. I guess I just love to scare people. This year however I couldn't do a haunted house because all our decorations are in Snowflake. I resolved to make the most of this year's Halloween and by sheer accidental luck, I was able to thoroughly enjoy myself.
I went with Cameo and the kids for awhile and my heart was swollen with parental pride as I watched Granger and Jonah literally run from house to house to get as much candy as they could. After going with the family I went back home to pass out the candy. To make it easier on myself I put a chair out on the front porch and grabbed one of my books to start studying. Of course I had a scary mask on the whole time and was wrapped in a blanket that looked pretty spooky itself. One little kid happened to walk up to me as I was finishing reading a paragraph. I finished the paragraph right as he got up to me and reached down to grab a piece of candy for him. I guess I had been sitting really still because when I moved he jumped. I had to take off my mask to show him that I was just a real person and that calmed his fears but it gave me a great idea. From that point on I put my book away and just sat as still as I could on the porch until unsuspecting trick-or-treaters came by. Apparently, it was not very easy to tell whether I was real or just a stuffed monster on the porch. Wave after wave of unsuspecting trick-or-treaters were frightened by me as they came up to the door, reached down to take a piece of candy out of the dish and were surprised when I would say, "Happy Halloween." or ask them, "What do you say?" or just growl. The best fun came when a group of four 8th Grade girls came to the door. I wasn't sure they were even going to make it to the door. They debated for so long whether I was real or fake. The whole time I sat perfectly still. Eventually a large group gathered behind them as they tried to dare one another into coming up to take the first piece of candy. Finally one girl with a squirt gun suggested, "If we squirt it with a squirt gun and it doesn't move, we know it's not real." So they squirted me with the squirt gun and I didn't move. Assured by my lack of movement, they came forward to take their candy. Just as they grabbed for the candy I jumped up and growled. The whole group who had gathered turned and ran, screaming and jumping all over the lawn. I have to admit I loved it. The girls loved it too and asked me to give them high five and told me I was the best actor around. I had fun all night until Cameo and the kids finally came home and we went inside to sort through all the kid's loot. It wasn't quite as cool as the haunted house but all-in-all, still a fun night.
I went with Cameo and the kids for awhile and my heart was swollen with parental pride as I watched Granger and Jonah literally run from house to house to get as much candy as they could. After going with the family I went back home to pass out the candy. To make it easier on myself I put a chair out on the front porch and grabbed one of my books to start studying. Of course I had a scary mask on the whole time and was wrapped in a blanket that looked pretty spooky itself. One little kid happened to walk up to me as I was finishing reading a paragraph. I finished the paragraph right as he got up to me and reached down to grab a piece of candy for him. I guess I had been sitting really still because when I moved he jumped. I had to take off my mask to show him that I was just a real person and that calmed his fears but it gave me a great idea. From that point on I put my book away and just sat as still as I could on the porch until unsuspecting trick-or-treaters came by. Apparently, it was not very easy to tell whether I was real or just a stuffed monster on the porch. Wave after wave of unsuspecting trick-or-treaters were frightened by me as they came up to the door, reached down to take a piece of candy out of the dish and were surprised when I would say, "Happy Halloween." or ask them, "What do you say?" or just growl. The best fun came when a group of four 8th Grade girls came to the door. I wasn't sure they were even going to make it to the door. They debated for so long whether I was real or fake. The whole time I sat perfectly still. Eventually a large group gathered behind them as they tried to dare one another into coming up to take the first piece of candy. Finally one girl with a squirt gun suggested, "If we squirt it with a squirt gun and it doesn't move, we know it's not real." So they squirted me with the squirt gun and I didn't move. Assured by my lack of movement, they came forward to take their candy. Just as they grabbed for the candy I jumped up and growled. The whole group who had gathered turned and ran, screaming and jumping all over the lawn. I have to admit I loved it. The girls loved it too and asked me to give them high five and told me I was the best actor around. I had fun all night until Cameo and the kids finally came home and we went inside to sort through all the kid's loot. It wasn't quite as cool as the haunted house but all-in-all, still a fun night.

6 comments:
I think Halloween is why Mormons have so many kids..... a year supply of candy!
N8
I let the neighbor hood down this year because I didn't decorate like Lynn does. Had I known the stuff was here, I could've snatched it:) They'll be even more disappointed when I don't do the best Christmas lights either. Oh well. I would have LOVED to have been there to see those kids scream!! Good job Lynn.
That's great Lynn! You ahd Lehi and I laughing pretty hard!
Way to make the best of things! That's great! Dad used to scare us all of the time. I guess you're just his clone.
Love the halloween stories. Can't wait for your haunted house again!
i love halloween too. and i miss you guys..thanksgiving,where you gonna be?
Post a Comment