Saturday, June 20, 2009

Life Livers

No, not the kind of liver that is an organ but to live life!

Yesterday, on our way home from Elitch Gardens Theme Park, I told Lynn that no matter what our situation, we seem to always find a way to do fun things. It's what we live for. He said, "It's because we're life livers." It got me thinking. It's true. No matter what our financial situation or what demands of our time life has for us (and we've been all over the spectrum with both time and money) our priority is to enjoy life.

I think it stems from Lynn's father. When Lynn was a kid, his dad worked a lot, but he instilled in Lynn a joy for making memories. I so appreciate that he took Lynn's family on vacations even if it was really a business trip to collect materials for the sign shop, he took his family along and made the most of it. When Lynn was 14, his father passed away rather quickly. Lynn said his father still had so much in life he wanted to do and so many places he wanted to see. Lynn didn't want to wait until we had time and money or "retirement" to make the memories he wanted to with his children and so... we don't!

We're always looking for a reason to make memories with our children. I don't think life is all about fun but I do believe, as Christ said, "Men are that they might have joy." And I think He's happy when we are happy. For us, a fun-filled afternoon at a park, a bike ride, a weekend getaway, stopping at a "Historical Site" plaque on the side of the road, a five-hour drive down a road I've never been before or lunch at an out of the way mom-and-pop restaurant, renews me. It's like it quenches a thirst. I can't imagine life without those moments. Some are just for a half-hour and some are for weeks away in a new country but they all do the same for me and my family. We love it. I rarely post about these things out of fear that we will appear as though we're trying to make ourselves seem great and our lives perfect... but if I post the bad, I ought to post the good too, right? We have amazing adventures.

Are you a life liver?

2 comments:

Tee said...

I love this! I want to be a life liver, and I wish I could say that we do things like that, but we don't so much. I do feel renewed and happy when we do, so I hope we can get out there and live it up a bit more :)

You are great inspirations for it!

Jeanette said...

I love that about you guys. I think Lynn got most of our dad's life liver genes and it's so great that you share his adventurous spirit. You're just perfect for each other.