Today started off by trying to leave our parking spot for the night, incognito, as we were just parked off the side of the highway in the Black Hills Forest. We went to Wind Tunnel National Park, made eggs and sausage for breakfast then on to Mount Rushmore via Black Hills National Forest. It was beautiful. We saw deer, bison, mountain goat, a gopher, prairiedogs, rabbits and wild burros. We were on this crazy windy road and saw a sign that a tunnel ahead only had a clearance of 12'4". We weren't sure we could make it but since, out of habit, we continually forget to bring our 13 foot measuring stick with us on our trips, we weren't sure how we would know if we were that tall. While discussing this problem with Lynn, we devised a masterful plan. Lynn knew he could jump nine feet "easy" (his words) because he can touch the rim of a basketball hoop at nine feet. So we decided to pull over and have Lynn jump against the motorhome. While doing this, we noticed the people next to us who had pulled over to see the view were looking at us very strangely. An odd sight perhaps, with a straggely looking guy jumping against his motorhome, arms overhead while being proded on by a woman inside. After we felt sufficiently comfortable about our height, Lynn got in and we proceeded on our way. Some pics of the tunnel are included for your amusement.
So we made it to Mt. Rushmore. It really is amazing. Now we are in Rapid City, SD. Tomorrow we will continue north to the corner of North Dakota, thus accomplishing Lynn's lifelong task of visiting all fifty states. Seriously, this is a big deal to him. I think it's pretty neat too. This is the last state on his list. I have to give special recognition to my dad for helping him accomplish Alaska and Hawaii. After North Dakota, we'll be on to Yellowstone.
Saturday, May 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Guys, Your experiences are fascinating! The entire blog is something else. Your life style, despite your troubles, is something many would die for! Carolyn and I enjoyed it so much. We love you! Dad (WJ)
I love being able to catch up on what's going on with you this way. Your travels are taking me back to the experiences of my youth and I am soooo jealous! I want to be out there sharing those things with my kids. Way to turn lemons into lemonade. I'm so proud of you guys. You're an inspiration!
I love it!! I love you guys and miss the crap out of you too. Your kids are getting so freaking big and it makes me sad that we can't hang out more. Nathaniel has been working up in Logan for over 2 months... which means I get to see him on the weekends. We are trying to move up there... hopefully before the baby comes (June 26 induced date). I'm glad to read that the female side of Lynn is coming out and keeping all posted on what's going on... and it counts as scrapbooking too, Lynn!! I think I busted a gut picturing Lynn jumping against the motorhome. Love you guys and I'm glad to know that you are still alive and well. Miss you all. Tell your kids hi for us.
I'm so glad that you are updating your blog while you travel! It's fun to see all your adventures and the cool places you got to visit! Congrats on the 50 state thing Lynn! That is great! Call us and let us know about Las Vegas! I know it would be hard but fun! Talk to you soon! Melinda~
I wanna travel all around the country. JEALOUS! Let us know when you're all settled in so we can come visit. I love Colorado!
Post a Comment