
So awhile back Cameo posted a comment about our eating habits. We do eat a lot of different stuff. It is not uncommon for us to go a month or more without eating the same meal twice. A favorite of ours is Asian food. (Probably from my time in Korea.) When Cameo posted her first comment there were a few requests for recipies but since a lot of the ingredients we use come from specialty stores we haven't posted any recipes yet. (You can't find squid or fermented cabbage or seasoned dried whole anchovies at most markets.) Tonight however we had an Asian meal and all the ingredients can be found at the local market. We liked it and the kids loved it, so we thought we'd share the recipe.
Ingredients:
3 Pork Chops
1 big bag of Soy Bean Sprouts or 4 big handfulls. (They can be found at almost any grocery store but are usually better from an Asian market.)
1 or 2 bushells of Green Onions
1/2 a regular onion
Rice (Botan rice is sticky rice that you can get at Wal-Mart by the Asian food, not the other rice or you can use any rice though medium grain rice is better than long grain.)
1 bottle Safeway Select Honey Garlic Glaze/Dip. (I've used other sauces from other stores with mixed results. This one is a little sweet but the kids really liked it.)
Cut the pork chops into 1/4 inch chunks. (Size and shape are not that important. Bite size is what you're aiming for. The best way to cut is with cooking scissors.)
Place directly into fry pan and turn heat to medium when the meat is all cut.
Cut the 1/2 onion into thin strips and place directly into the pan with the meat. (You can dice them if you'd rather.)
Cut the green onions into pieces about 3 to 4 inches long.
Wash the bean sprouts and place them and the green onions in the pan as soon as the meat is browned.
Pour the bottle of sauce over the whole pan and cover with a lid.
After about 4 min. stir the contents and recover.
Stir again about 7 min. later and you should be done. It will look like a soup after all the veggies have cooked down. Laddle the contents over a hot bowl of rice and serve.
Cameo and I thought this meal was a little sweet so you could probably add chicken boullion and water to make it more mild or if you want to really spice it up you can use Sriricha hot chili sauce. It's the one with the rooster and all of the Asian writing on it. You can find it at almost any grocery store, near the Asian food. I wouldn't suggest this for kids. You can add it to your portion after you've dished it up.
You could have dry squid, seasoned seaweed, fried tofu, kimchi or many other things as side dishes if you want but you'd have to go to an Asian market for those. We had ours sans side dishes.
As a side note, writing this recipe down made me feel really gay. I assure you I am not gay but I must be metrosexual because I do enjoy cooking and Cameo thinks my opinion on furniture and house decor are very problematic. Sports, camping, hiking and other manly activities definitely top my list of things I like to do. Grunt, grunt...

4 comments:
It's not gay for men to cook. don't you watch the food network?
Lynn, I just sat here laughing so hard towards the end of your post...Tatum kept asking me, "what's so funny?" But I didn't think it was appropriate to try and define a metrosexual person to her lol. I may try that recipe. I'm not really a squid or seaweed person myself, but everything else sounds yummy! Thanks for keeping us updated on your blog. Our blog is not quite as interesting as yours, but I try :)).
Well don't tell anyone about skinny dipping on "Mancation" with 5 other guys..... N8
I love ya Lynn!!! lol
Post a Comment