

We have the best car in the world, "Trusty". Cameo got it when she was going to Rick's. In fact her ownership of this car was one of the main reasons I wanted to marry her. (OK maybe a very small reason, but I do remember thinking it would be nice to have a reliable car.) I have not been disapointed by my decision. (Cameo has been pretty good too.) This car is much more than it appears. Cameo drove it all over Idaho when she was ditching all her classes and back and forth from Rick's several times to see me. (probably other boy's too) We practically lived in it for 3 weeks on our honeymoon as we traveled across the western U.S. and Canada. I've driven it up the side of Mount Humphreys in a blizzard on roads many jeeps could not manage. Cameo and I took it down the back trail of Mount Lemon even when all the people in 4x4's told us there was no way we would make it in our car. We were not worried and it came through like a champion. It survived a 180 degree spinout on Highway One in California and a full 360 degree spin out on Highway 60 in Mesa. It made the trip to Yellowstone for us and all the way cross country to Pennsylvania and New York to see family. One time when the radio still worked Cindy Loper's True Colors came on the radio and I had to sing along singing the lyrics to this great car. "I see your true colors shining through. I see your true colors and that's why I love you."
What is Trusty's strength attributed to? Cameo believes Trusty is much like the story of Samson. Samson's hair must never be cut or he would lose his strength and we believed Trusty must never be washed. No, in all the year's Cameo's owned Trusty it has never been washed and so you see why we believe where it's strength comes from. Sadly one day my brother, believing he was performing an act of kindness, washed Trusty. Cameo was very sad. And yet, to our surprise, Trusty kept on keepin' on. What a car.
Sadly we are not worthy of a car that would give so much. Through the years it has been abused. It has been in several minor scapes. A drunk driver gouged one side and took off the mirror. a deer ran into the side of it in Kansas. Travis ran into the back of it with his Pathfinder after a hike, dislocating the bumper, and the paint has fadded over the years. Worthy owners would have repaired the damage but sadly we did not. Trusty slowly feel into disuse. Every so often it would be called apon to be lent out to family and friends in need of transportation and always it was ready for the call. Yet for most of the last year it sat at my brother Ben's house unused.
Now Trusty is being called apon again. It will be my main transport to school for the next 16 months and so we decided to get Trusty a mirror... the one lost so long ago when the drunk driver took it off. We went to a junkyard in Show Low before we left and found a mirror off an old Paseo. It didn't quite fit but with a few alterations I got it to work perfectly. It felt good to give a little back to such a great car that deserves so much more. If I was rich I would restore this car to its original glory. Maybe someday.
We love you Trusty. AKA Inferno.

5 comments:
You guys are amazing! I finally had time to read most of your recent entries. The narrative is absolutely entertaining and the pictures phenomenal! What a life you are living. Truly, family, friends and experiences - not money - are what it is all about!
Luv Ya All,
Grandpa Wendell
I feel honored to have ridden in Trusty. I didn't realize what greatness surrounded me as I sat inside it's humble frame. If only my girls cold've known how truly blessed they were during that ride! And, what an unbelievable opportunity Lehi had to be able to DRIVE Trusty--even if he turned on the wipers with his knee every time he moved!
I always thought trusty looked like that because she was old. I didn't know she was just dirty. Love it. What a great car.
Inferno.... you know you can get heated up sooo hot. You know that if you get too hot, Cameo will turn on the heater hoping to relieve the pressure. I feel a connection to you Inferno. We traveled to Cali together, to see all the mugrunners. I almost made out in you with a ricks college boyfriend, but was afraid Cameo would be mad. You inferno aka Trusty are a champ... you will always be too hot to handle to me.
I washed you're car for my benifit
I wasn't trying to do you a favor
The reason the car works so well is because it's a Toyota not because it's dirty don't be so superstisious
Post a Comment